Learn more about this orange nutritional powerhouse
How to select
Choose sweet potatoes that are firm and do not have any cracks, bruises or soft spots.
How to store
Store in a cool, dark and well-ventilated space – like a pantry – where they will keep fresh for up to 10 days.
Ways to use
- Replace white potatoes in a recipe with sweet potatoes, such as potato salad or hash browns.
- Slice into thin strips and bake sweet potato fries or slice them to create sweet potato chips.
- Bake, roast, grill, mash, steam, juice, microwave or eat raw.
- Enjoy a baked sweet potato.
- Add to stir-fries, soups, and casseroles.
Did you know...
- George Washington, our first president, grew sweet potatoes on his farm in Mount Vernon, Virginia.
- Sweet potatoes are often confused with yams but they are not even in the same species!
- Sweet potatoes originated at least 5,000 years ago.
- North Carolina is the leading producer of sweet potatoes in the United States.