How to cook vegetables
It's easy to eat more vegetables!
What are some ways to maintain nutrients when cooking vegetables?
- Cook vegetables in the smallest amount of liquid and in the shortest amount of time to reach the desired tenderness.
- Follow the recipe or directions for cooking the vegetables.
- Cook most vegetables with a lid.
- For vegetables with a skin, scrub well and cook with the skin on. If it must be peeled, peel as thinly as possible.
- Cut pieces into uniform sizes of even cooking.
- Cook vegetables only until crisp-tender. Overcooking destroys the texture, color and flavor.
Use the guides below to learn about different cooking methods!
Adapted from Catherine Powers’ (2009) Preparing Vegetables Culinary Techniques for Healthy School Meals, 2nd Edition, National Food Service Management Institute, The University of Mississippi and United States Department of Agriculture - Team Nutrition’s Fruits and Vegetables Galore: Helping Kids Eat More.