Okra has a unique flavor; mild and almost grassy tasting. The texture of okra can change from dish to dish, depending on how you prepare it.
- Good source of vitamin C to help your immune system
- Good source of fiber, which helps your digestive system
- Low in calories, fat, and cholesterol
- Rinse okra in a cool stream of water when ready to use.
- Trim ends of okra, coat in oil, and grill 5 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with lemon.
- Add to stews and soups. Try making gumbo.
- Boil okra, drain water, and combine with stewed tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers.
- Top your salad or pizza with okra.
- Refrigerate unwashed, dry okra pods in the vegetable crisper, loosely wrapped in perforated plastic bags. Wet pods will quickly mold and become slimy.
- Okra will keep for only two or three days.
- When ridges and tips of pods turn dark, it needs to be used immediately.